SCREEN-L Archives

March 1995, Week 2

From:
"Rex B. Hannah" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Mar 1995 13:11:30 CST
DandyDane writes:
> In the study of film and television, it is an interesting concept to imagine
> how the entertainment world would survive without SAG.  How important is SAG
> REALLY????

SAG is crucial to the survival of actors in Hollywood today.
Unfortunately, it never seems to provide the service it's meant to as a
union.

Not even 10% of active, dues-paying members of SAG make the type of money
which creates $40-Million-plus film budgets.  The majority of members
make their livings waiting tables or saying "That tape is due back
Thursday at midnight."  However, that doesn't stop producers from
continuously trying to short change even established actors from the
money they deserve.

Every time a contract is negotiated for an actor, their salary is
supposed to be determined based on their previous quotes, i.e., what they
made on their last film or tv movie or series, etc.  However, producers
are currently trying to increase product at lower budgets and will not
give these actors (and I'm not talking about the $12-Million Demi Moore's
out there) the meager raises they deserve.

Hell, even Matt Dillon, Tim Hutton and Uma Thurman are not making six
figures for 10 weeks-plus of work on "Beautiful Girls", the film the
three of them are shooting in Minnesota right now.

But because of the current agreement, SAG has no power.  Sure we read
stories every day of how much Arnold and Sly are making for their next
pic.  We know that Sharon Stone and Demi are breaking the bank.  But if
you really pay attention to all these big contracts, there are only about
30 names that come up over and over again.  The other tens-of-thousands
members of SAG pray for that first scale+10% (read: $504+54/day) salary
for one day dancing in the strip club scene before Van Damme blows the
place up.

RHB <--> AMD

Rex B. Hannah         |----------->"Speak to me softly ...
[log in to unmask]  |----------->     Talk to me gently ...