SCREEN-L Archives

February 2003, Week 4

Sender:
From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 07:42:51 -0600
I see that Eric Freedman identified the tape as Jason Simon's "Production
Notes: Fast Food for Thought," US$200 from Video Data Bank (although the
Website does not specify non-US sales).  Thought I would add the blurb on
it from VDB's Website (below).

You may also be interested to know that the Internet Archive ( archive.org
) and the Prelinger Archives ( www.prelinger.com ) have collaborated to
provide several 1950s-60s TV commercials for free download in DIVX, MPEG2,
and VCD formats.  For more information, see

http://archive.org/movies/prelinger.php

Further, I've been using several of these commercials to develop an
interactive DVD to accompany the textbook, TELEVISION: CRITICAL METHODS AND
APPLICATIONS.  Among the exercises on the DVD are a Chevrolet commercial
that is re-edited six different ways (with the raw shots included so that
students may edit their own commercials) and a Dodge commercial with five
alternate audio tracks (raw footage also included as a QuickTime movie).

The DVD is not yet available, but there is a companion Website:

http://www.TVCrit.com

A shot-by-shot breakdown of the Chevrolet commercial is available there:

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/TVCrit/Illustrations/ChevroletCommercial

And we have put the book's chapter on commercials online, too:

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/TVCrit/Ch12

Hope this is of some help.

---- www.vdb.org ----

Production Notes: Fast Food for Thought
28:00 1986

Production Notes allows us to eavesdrop on the business decisions behind
the creation of our daily diet of television commercials. This excellent
tape undertakes to explode the address of seven TV ads by means of
repetition, slow motion, and “production notes”— memos sent from the
advertising agency to the production company prior to filming the spots, to
describe the intentions, desires, strategies and ideology of the
commercials and their creators. Stripping the commercial sequences of their
glitz and fast pacing is a powerful technique that allows the viewer to
examine the jingles with which they may have happily hummed along.

>Date:    Mon, 24 Feb 2003 10:42:58 +1100
>From:    Max Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
>
>In my preparations for a class I'll be teaching this semester - Teaching
>Television - I'm attempting to locate a copy of a short video whose title
>escapes me.  Its a particularly well-known piece, one I've seen in a number
>of classroom contexts.  In it a number of famous 1980's American television
>ads (one for McDonalds, one for Mars, one for a malt liquor company aimed
>towards working class black men, etc) are played, replayed, and paired with
>voiceovers of mock ad industry memos outlining the advertisers objectives,
>targeted audiences, desired aesthetics, etc.

Jeremy Butler
TELEVISION: CRITICAL METHODS AND APPLICATIONS
www.TVCrit.com

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/ScreenSite