SCREEN-L Archives

June 1994

From:
Denise Bryson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jun 1994 12:14:36 CDT
Thanks, Andi-O--maybe it's just our AGE that makes us think "who ever
said women can't be what they want?"  Sesame Street Generation...I like
that.

And now, once again, let me try this:

*******TONGUE-IN-CHEEK ALERT*************

The following lines include a parodic comment meant to amuse, not to
piss off the PC among us.  Please exercise caution in viewing the
next screen.

Frankly, instead of demonizing _Snow White_ as a sexist picture, I
prefer to think of it as one of the few films that eschewed sizism by
using vertically-challenged characters in integral roles.  Although
today we may be more inclined to question the stereotypes of dwarves
as hard-working happy people, in its time, _Snow White_ was a daring
slap in the face of the anti-short establishment.

:)

º Denise M. Bryson, Northeast Missouri State University            º
º Division of Language and Literature                              º
º Kirksville, Missouri  63501                                      º
º                                                                  º
º [log in to unmask]                       º
º                                                                  º
º "Truly, you have a dizzying intellect."  Westley, aka The Man    º
º                                          in Black                º