SCREEN-L Archives

August 1992

From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Aug 1992 15:31:10 CDT
Here's a few comments from John Kuiper about this year's University
Film and Video Conference...

   Not bad, indeed. A rather handsome venue with some interesting papers
and lots of talk about departments that have gone belly-up.  Peter
Bukalski had some interesting observations about what qualities pre-
dispose a department toward the axe.  I hope he'll published these in the
*Digest*  soon.  I assume you saw the  schedule of papers.  There were many
unusual screenings as well and quite a few excellent faculty produced and
student works.  One session I thought particularly good included Kay Beck,
GA State--read by Tomosula, Jennifer Machiorlatti, Wayne State; and Doris
Loesser of Montana State, Topic was Cultural Studies: Multi-Culturalism.
Machiorlatti read on teaching cross-cultural women's studies through
cinema; Loeser on teaching Scandanavian Film to a General College Audience.
Some tough issues were fairly faced in these presentations.
   Eastman Scholars' films were showcased for the first time. Pretty interesting
work by young cinematographers in the middle of their university programs.
Four scholarships this year. Schools represented were Temple, USC, UNC--
Greensboro, Brooks Inst. of Photography.