SCREEN-L Archives

July 1993

From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 1993 10:35:23 CST
    I plan to teach a course in German cinema this fall.  Digging through
    my file cabinets I find that it's been fully 10 years since I've taught
    this topic (where do the semesters go?).

    So I realized today that my readings in this area may be a bit dusty.
    I still plan to expose students to the hoary classics (Kracauer,
    Eisner) as well as more recent books on New German Cinema (e.g., Thomas
    Elsaesser's, John Sandford's, Timothy Corrigan's), but I was wondering
    if perhaps there were some crucial essay I was missing.

    Any suggestions?

    The course is designed for upper level undergraduates and runs the
    gamut from early silents to contemporary films.

    Any suggestions that tie in with the films offered by the German
    Embassy would be particularly welcome.

    Thanks!

    P.S.  For those of you unaware of the German Embassy collection:  It
    features German feature films (most with English subtitles) that are
    available for educational purposes FOR THE COST OF SHIPPING--usually
    around $10.  Included are several by Herzog, Fassbinder, Schlondorff,
    von Trotta, et al., and Brecht's KUHLE WAMPE (!).

    Distribution is handled by West Glen Films:

          1430 Broadway
          New York, NY  10018
          Phone:  (212) 921-0966
          Fax:    (212) 944-9055

 | Jeremy Butler                                                          |
 | SCREEN-L Coordinator                     [log in to unmask] |
 | Telecommunication & Film Dept * The University of Alabama * Tuscaloosa |