SCREEN-L Archives

July 1992

From:
Kerr Avon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jul 1992 13:55:19 BST
From: WATERS <[log in to unmask]>

>Here's a stupid question that has been befuddling us at the Law
>Library for several years now [...] those of
>us who grew up in the 60's remember a cartoon featuring a dog
>who would go nuts when he was given some kind of dog treat
>(a bone? a dog biscuit?). He would hug himself and make yummy
>sounds (to quote Gene Wilder in Young Frankenstein), and
>then float up into the air and back down. Any suggestions
>on the name of the dog or what this is from?

Sally,

I am almost certain that it is Muttley (Mutley?), as someone else
already suggested.  Muttley appeared with Dick Dastardley (sp?)
in the Wacky Races (along with Penelope Pitstop, the Anthill
Mob and others (including a couple of Captain Caveman lookalikes)).
They also had their own cartoon series, in which they were
forever trying to catch Yankee Doodle Pigeon and his mail bag.

Now, whenever Muttley came up with a good plan, or did something
right, Dick would give him a medal ("Yeh-yeh-yeh-yeh-yeh-yeh").
This would result in the aforementioned hugging, yummy-ing
and floating.  Towards the end of the show, when Yankee escaped,
and Dick's plane was destroyed, Dick would take the medal back
("Sazzle-frazzin-gizzle-wizzle...").

Hope this helps... bet you're glad to know that we all wasted our
childhoods watching the same things (on both sides of the ocean).

Since you mentioned Scooby Doo, I want to know how they got away
with calling one of the characters "Shaggy"...

			Liam.
			====-
                                   *"Would you like some rat au
     KERR AVON    |   Work: ICL,   *   vin to help you think?"
 aka Liam Cairney |Reading, England*"Rat au vin?"
  All e-mail to:- | Home: Glasgow, *"Yes. It's a rat..."
[log in to unmask] |    Scotland    *"... thats been run over by
                                   *   a van..."
     "I belong to Glasgow..."      *     -- Baldrick & Blackadder