SCREEN-L Archives

February 1995, Week 1

Sender:
From:
Marlyn Robinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Feb 1995 19:16:39 CST
I'd like to clear up a little potential confusion among list members.  One
of our fellow members, Larry Jarvik,  has included in his sig an affiliation
with the Center for the Study of Popular Culture.   There are two
organizations having this name.   One is the long established and esteemed
Center for the Study of Popular Culture, located at Bowling Green
University, and begun by Ray Browne, the founder of the Popular Culture
Association.  I think most of us realize how much we owe academically to
this organization and Ray's early efforts to legitimize the academic study
of popular culture.  The second organization is a conservative think tank
located in L.A., which seems to have as its main focus the destruction of
the NEA, NEH and CPB.  (Of the 150 hits I got from a Lexis search, only a
handful did not concern this issue)   Mr. Jarvik is head of the Washington
office of this organization, and testified at the recent House hearings
against CPB, on a panel with representatives of Accuracy in Media, the CATO
Institute, CAMERA, Family Research Council, Jones Education Networks, and
the NRA.  Mr. Jarvik has been described as "one of the most prominent and
most durable critics of public television"  (NYT, 1/25/95)

Needless to say, the folks at Bowling Green are not real happy with this
group's choice of name.  Maybe in the interests of fairness and truth in
advertising, the L.A. group could change theirs?  ;)

Incidentally, I e-mailed Mr. Jarvik yesterday with a request for a
description of his organization, and have not heard back.  Perhaps he'd like
to fill us in.

And I have been quite delighted with the support given to CPB and PBS in
response to his comments.

Marlyn Robinson
University of Texas School of Law