SCREEN-L Archives

January 2007, Week 3

Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 2007 13:14:49 -0600
Greetings,

We just wanted to let you know that the new issue of Flow: A Critical Forum on
Television and Media Culture is out. This issue features columns by Nichola
Dobson, Adam Fish, Chuck Tryon, Hector Amaya, Jennifer Warren, Stephen
Harrington, and Jean Anne Lauer.

Please visit the journal at http://www.flowtv.org to read these columns and
contribute responses to them.

This issue's columns in brief:

"Strictly Dancing Newsreaders" by Nichola Dobson:
What are the implications of turning reality show celebrities into British news
anchors?

"Television, Eco-tourism, and the Video Camera: Performative Non-Fiction and
Auto-Cinematography" by Adam Fish:
In two first-person cinematographer ecotourist programs, the difficulties and
joys of being a small camera crew are as important as what the cameras record.

"Democracy in Fifteen Seconds" by Chuck Tryon:
YouTube meets the Super Bowl as network television tries to negotiate "digital
democracy."

"Film is the New Low, Television the New High: Some Ideas About Time and
Narrative Conservatisms" by Hector Amaya:
Are television viewers more receptive to aesthetic and narrative sophistication
than film viewers?

"The Final Frontier: Myth and Meaning in Science Fiction Television" by Jennifer
Warren:
What are we trying to tell ourselves about ourselves through the lens of science
fiction narrative?

Feature: "The Best 10 Minutes of Television?...Ever?" by Stephen Harrington:
"The Office" - What is all the fuss about? What is it that made the show so good
in the first place?

Editorial: "'They finally killed off Kat': 'Battlestar Galactica' and the Limits
of Its Politics" by Jean Anne Lauer:
"Battlestar Galactica" takes on some tough issues, but the death of Kat closes
off a potentially rich area for further social critique.

We look forward to your visit and encourage your comments.

Best wishes,

Flow Editorial Staff

http://www.ScreenSite.org