SCREEN-L Archives

May 1992

From:
"David A. Roth" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David A. Roth
Date:
Fri, 29 May 1992 20:14:28 EST
In Regards to your letter <[log in to unmask]>:

> > am happy to hear that it is possible to convert DOS WP files into a form
> >that allows them to be shipped over bitnet and converted back into their
> >formatted glory.
>
> >Does anyone out there know how to do the same with MicroSoft Word from a
> >Macintosh?  Here's an even tougher question:  can you send an RTF file
> >using Word over bitnet and bring it back to life with Word or even WP
> >on an DOS machine?

I'm a Mac user who uses MS Word and there are a bunch of utilities
that come with MS WORD to do all kinds of converting between different
word processors.

>     Ben, I figure that this might help out with SCREEN-L FILELIST and the
>     posting of Mac-originated files there.  So, I think it's entirely
>     appropriate for discussion here.
>
>     I tend to have my DOS blinders on when trying to figure out this sort
>     of stuff.  The Macolytes among us will have to keep me informed on how
>     Mac files can be sent over the nets.
>
>     --Jeremy
>       SCREEN-L Coordinator

For what it's worth...If I have created a document in MS WORD on the
MAC and wanted to send it over the net I first save the file as TEXT
ONLY or TEXT ONLY W/LINE BREAKS.

If you want to send a Mac file of any kind to be used on another Mac
I'd suggest converting the file into BINHEX which is a program that
allows the file to be put back together exactly without any translations.
Shareware utilities like STUFFIT 1.5.1 have BINHEX as an option.

Hope this helps!  Enough of this tech-talk...back to the studio!!!
:-)

David

        David A. Roth Music                 uunet!abvax!osu-cis!david!david
        Post Office Box 1082                    From CompuServ:
        Westerville, Ohio 43081-1082            send >internet:[log in to unmask]
        U.S.A.
        Telephone: (614) 890-7684 ( 24-Hour Voice/Fax )