SCREEN-L Archives

March 1995, Week 2

Date:
Thu, 9 Mar 1995 15:07:38 CST
Yes, it's true.  When I am on the set (I freelance as a DP), we hardly ever
analyze what we are shooting.  We're too busy getting it in the can and it
would bog the flow of the production if we routinely analyzed the work in
progress; it would be dowright pompous, I think.

The audience does analyze the film.  The analysis is not generally purely
intellectual and often has to do with likes and dislikes of elements in the
film (characters, scenes, whatever).  So I do think that although we may not
analyze a film as it is being made, as an audience we do analyze  on some
level;  we interpret the films according to our life experieces.  I would
like to think that we are not stuffed puppets sitting in front of a screen.
I apologize for going on for so long but this <analysis, analysis> discussion
is intersting.

Renato Tonelli