SCREEN-L Archives

August 1996, Week 5

From:
Andy Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Aug 1996 19:58:32 -0500
Screen-l people:

I'm just starting out on an obsession with the work of Zhang Yimou and Chen
Kaige, and need a little help on their filmographies.  Namely: are there
any Yimou films AFTER "Red Sorghum" and BEFORE "Ju Dou"?  Similarly, are
there any Kaige films between "Farewell My Concubine" and "Temptress Moon"?

A related topic: suggestions for non-Kaige/Yimou films to seek out? So far
I've only seen "The Blue Kite"... these films are astonishingly consistent!!

One more query: as all the films/directors I've named are fairly "well known"
in the West, what other Chinese directors should I be aware of, those who
may be even more underground (I'm thinking of "Beijing Bastards," which I've
heard a little about...)

Thanks,
Andy Miller