SCREEN-L Archives

June 2009, Week 5

Date:
Sun, 28 Jun 2009 19:15:11 -0500
Greetings,

We want to let you know that the new issue of Flow: A Critical Forum on
Television and Media Culture is available at http://flowtv.org.

This issue features columns from Celine Parreņas Shimizu, Kiri Miller,
Bernard Timberg, Konrad Ng, Aswin Punathambekar and Ted Friedman.

This issue's columns in brief:

"The Making of My Mothering Movie: Birthright" by Celine Parreņas
Shimizu  (http://flowtv.org/?p=4023)
A new film explores the complex mix of the emotion, politics, and
personal obligations of motherhood.

"What Brown Cannot Do For You: MTV-Desi, Diasporic Youth Culture, and
the Limits of Television" by Aswin Punathambekar
(http://flowtv.org/?p=4028)
A look at disaporic media cultures and MTV's efforts to target
Asian-American youth.

"Just Add Performance" by Kiri Miller (http://flowtv.org/?p=4019)
Exploring the industry effects and phenomena of 'musicking' of the
video games Rock Band and Guitar Hero.

"Gertrude Berg, Yoo-Hoo, Mrs. Goldberg, and the Re-Discovery of a
Television Auteur" by Bernard M. Timberg (http://flowtv.org/?p=4034)
A revisitation of the iconic early television series The Goldbergs.

"A Look Back at the Campaign: Asian American Political and Cultural
Representation" by
Konrad Ng (http://flowtv.org/?p=4035)
An examination of Asian American political participation and cultural
expression within Barack Obama?s grassroots campaign.

"Tweeting the Dialectic of Technological Determinism" by Ted Friedman
(http://flowtv.org/?p=4052)
A skeptical look at the technological determinism at work in American
perceptions of the effects of Twitter on the recent Iranian conflict.

Interested in supporting Flow? Click HERE (http://flowtv.org/?page_id=2143).

FlowTV is now on Twitter! Follow Flow's Twitter page at:
http://twitter.com/flowtv
FlowTV is also on Facebook! Get updates on your news feed by becoming a fan:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pages/Flow-TV-A-Critical-Forum-on-Television-and-Media-Culture/223357900312?ref=ts

We look forward to your visit and encourage your comments.

Best wishes,

Flow Editorial Staff