FILM-ALERT Archives

April 2008

FILM-ALERT@LISTSERV.UA.EDU

From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 2008 09:31:08 -0500
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Sidewalk <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 3:31 PM
Subject: Early Bird Deadline Draws Near
To: Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>

  [image: http://www.sidewalkfest.com]<[log in to unmask]" target="_blank">http:[log in to unmask]>
*Regular Deadline Draws Near
*
 Deadlines: April 1 / May 1 / June 1
  **

<[log in to unmask]" target="_blank">http:[log in to unmask]>The
2008 Sidewalk Moving Picture Festival has announced its Call For Entries for
feature-length narratives, documentaries and short film entries. Now in its
10th year, Sidewalk Moving Picture Festival has been named one of TIME
Magazine's "Film Festivals for the Rest of Us," one of the "Top Ten Film
Festival Vacations" by the *Ultimate Film Festival Survival Guide* and a
"Best Kept Secret" by MovieMaker magazine.

*Award prizes include:*

   - $1,000 for Best Feature
   - $1,000 for Best Documentary
   - $1,000 for Best Short
   - $500 for Best Animated Film
   - Kathryn Tucker Windham Storytelling Award
   - Audience Choice Awards
   - Alabama Citations of Excellence (ACE Awards)
   - Handcrafted cast-iron award sculptures designed by resident artists
   of Birmingham's historic Sloss Furnaces

Submissions must have been completed after January 1, 2006 and must not have
been publicly exhibited in the Greater Birmingham Metropolitan Area prior to
the 2008 festival dates.

*Visit sidewalkfest.com<[log in to unmask]" target="_blank">http:[log in to unmask]>for
complete entry information and eligibility requirements. Sidewalk
prefers submissions online through
Withoutabox.com<[log in to unmask]" target="_blank">http:[log in to unmask]>,
but a downloadable PDF entry form is available
here<[log in to unmask]" target="_blank">http:[log in to unmask]>
.*

<[log in to unmask]" target="_blank">http:[log in to unmask]>Stay
tuned to your inbox for more updates, and please use the "send to a friend"
link at the bottom of this page to forward this email on to others who may
be interested. And be sure to join Sidewalk's network of friends on
MySpace.com<[log in to unmask]" target="_blank">http:[log in to unmask]>!

The Sidewalk Moving Picture Festival is set for September 26-28 in downtown
Birmingham's historic theatre district and is a project of the Alabama
Moving Image Association, Inc., a publicly supported 501(c)(3) non-profit
organization created to inspire, encourage and support films and filmmaking
in Alabama.
 ------------------------------
 **

[image: John C. Reilly]The 10th annual Sidewalk Moving Picture Festival, a
celebration of new independent cinema in downtown Birmingham, is set to take
place September 26-28. Since its debut in 1999, filmmakers from across the
country and around the world have come to Birmingham to screen their work at
Sidewalk and have been thrilled to discover fresh, enthusiastic crowds eager
to devour new independent cinema.

* WORD ON THE SIDEWALK... *

*BEST KEPT SECRET* in *MovieMaker *magazine

One of *TIME* Magazine's *FILM FESTIVALS FOR THE REST OF US*

One of Chris Gore's *BEST VACATION FILM FESTIVALS* in the* Ultimate Film
Festival Survival Guide*.

One of *20 FILM FESTIVALS WORTH THE ENTRY FEE *in MovieMaker magazine.

"It has all the charm of a regional festival yet the programming quality and
significance of a major global festival."
*Steve Montal*, Juror

"We've had a tremendous amount of opportunity to network with other
filmmakers, which is really cool."
*Sean Tracy*, THE JESUS GUY

"You start to get to know about the festivals that treat filmmakers well and
the ones that don't, and Sidewalk is one of the names that always came up as
far as being great to filmmakers."
*Joe Swanberg*, HANNAH TAKES THE STAIRS

"Sidewalk is totally different from all the other film festivals that I have
been to. The people are so gracious and it's so well organized."
*Caren Cross*, LOST & FOUND IN MEXICO

"It's kind of nice to come out to a festival like sidewalk that makes a fuss
over the filmmakers and I guess, for our own vanity, just feel like big
shots for the weekend."
*Chris Bowman*, AMERICAN FORK

"Sidewalk has done such a good job of educating the city and the audience in
independent films."
*Barlow Jacobs*, LOW AND BEHOLD

"It draws really dedicated filmgoers that are interested in looking outside
of traditional big box movies."
*Ashley Sabin*, KAMP KATRINA

"They have a really great staff and the programming committee is really
sharp; they have a really good selection of films."
*Alex Orr*, BLOOD CAR

"It's an energy of filmmakers and it's not about the star, it's not about
glamour. It's really a filmmaker's festival."
*Steve Montal*, Juror

"This is how film festivals should be."
*Peter Gilbert*, HOOP DREAMS / Juror

"I have to say this is one of the most fun festivals I've been to."
*Dan Myrick*, THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT / Juror

"This really has been the perfect festival."
*Eric Campos*, FilmThreat.com / Juror

"Seriously, you guys have some magic going on down there, and I will
encourage everyone I know to check it out."
*Jay Duplass*, THE PUFFY CHAIR

"I really think you guys just might have discovered the perfect ingredients
for a film festival... Hospitality, organization, local flavor, no attitude,
really good food and great films! Wow-- what a blast!"
*Don Bernier*, IN A NUTSHELL

"Often film festivals can actually be a lonely place for a filmmaker because
you just don't know anyone, and sometimes they're all spread out and you
don't have a car and you can barely get anywhere, and there aren't enough
events set up for you to keep you busy or meet your fellow filmmakers and my
goodness, Sidewalk just blew all that to the Cosmos! It was so friendly and
fun and low key. I just felt astonishingly well taken care of."
*Alison Bagnall*, PIGGIE / Juror
  SIDEWALK and the SIDEWALK MOVING PICTURE FESTIVAL are registered
trademarks of the Alabama Moving Image Association, Inc., a
publicly-supported 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, created to inspire,
support and encourage films and filmmaking in Alabama.
[log in to unmask]<[log in to unmask]" target="_blank">http:[log in to unmask]>
   Sidewalk<[log in to unmask]" target="_blank">http:[log in to unmask]>

    *Send this email to a
friend:*<[log in to unmask]&[log in to unmask]" target="_blank">http:[log in to unmask]&[log in to unmask]>
    Check out this email!

www.ScreenLex.org
www.ScreenSite.org
www.TVCrit.com
www.ShotLogger.org
www.AllThingsAcoustic.org

Professor - TCF Dept. - U Alabama

----
If you no longer wish to receive announcements from Film-Alert,
please fill in this form:

http://bama.ua.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=film-alert&A=1

and click "Leave FILM-ALERT".