FILM-ALERT Archives

February 2010

FILM-ALERT@LISTSERV.UA.EDU

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Tuscaloosa-Birmingham-Montgomery film announcements <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Feb 2010 20:19:13 -0600
Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The Capri Theatre
1045 E Fairview Ave
Montgomery, AL 36106
334.262.4858

The Capri Theatre Schedule, with links to all movies, is always available at:
http://capritheatre.org

or Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Montgomery-AL/Capri-Theatre/48664568996

The Capri Theatre is operated by the Capri
Community Film Society, Inc., a non-profit
organization.  Please write or email for more
information about membership and donations.

To be REMOVED from this list or to get the Capri schedule via snail mail:

/////////////////////////

NOW PLAYING
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

February 5 - February 10
The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus
122mins
Fri & Sat: 7:00 & 9:15
Sun - Weds: 7:30 only
NO SHOW THURSDAY
>From the director of Brazil and Monty Python and
the Holy Grail, the story of a traveling theater
company that gives its audience much more than
they were expecting.
http://www.sonyclassics.com/theimaginariumofdoctorparnassus/

**********************************
February Valentine Special
Thursday, February 11 *  7:30pm
Cary Grant & Grace Kelly
in
Alfred Hitchcock's
TO CATCH A THIEF
Champagne & Chocolate
Make a Valentine's date with Cary Grant and Grace
Kelly. It may be the dead of winter, but you can
still have a glass of bubbly and pretend to be on
the sun soaked Mediterranean. Join us February 11
at 6:30 for our pre-show reception and have a
complimentary glass of champagne with your ticket
purchase. Then enjoy the 7:30 showing of the
Alfred Hitchcock classic To Catch A Thief.
Want dinner and a date? Sinclair's special for
the evening is Salade Nicoise with a Beaujolais,
for a complete Mediterranean evening.

View The Trailer: http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi2768175897/
**********************************

February 12 - February 18
Red Cliff
148mins
Fri & Sat: 7:00 only
Sun - Thurs: 7:30 only
NO SHOW MONDAY
Action director John Woo returns to China for
this epic story of the 208 CE battle which
brought an end to the Han Dynasty. (In Mandarin
with English Sub-Titles)
http://www.redclifffilm.com/

****************************
Sunday, February 14 - 3:00pm
One Woman, One Vote narrated by Susan Sarandon
No Admission Fee
Documents the 75-year battle for woman's suffrage.
Sponsor: Montgomery League of Women Voters Education Fund
on the 90th Anniversary of the League of Women Voters.
Anniversary Party @ 2 p.m
****************************
****************************
MONDAY, FEBRUARY 15 - 7:30
Southern Circuit Film Tour
TRIMPIN: The Sound of Invention
Peter Esmonde, producer/director
This documentary explores the outrageous work and
agile mind of a wildly creative
artist/inventor/composer/engineer.
  http://www.trimpinmovie.com/

The 2009-2010 Southern Circuit is a program of
the Southern Arts Federation. Southern Circuit
screenings are funded in part by a grant from the
Southern Arts Federation in partnership with the
National Endowment for the Arts and local partner
organizations. Special support for Southern
Circuit was provided by the Academy of Motion
Picutre Arts and Sciences.
Funded locally in part by a grant from the
Alabama State Council on the Arts. Accomadations
provided for filmmakers by the Lattice Inn.
************************************

February 19 - February 25
The Young Victoria
100mins
Fri & Sat: 7:00 & 9:00
3:00 Matinee Saturday & Sunday
Sun - Thurs: 7:30 only
Never has a movie said "Capri" like The Young
Victoria, the turbulent first years of Queen
Victoria's rule, and her enduring romance with
Prince Albert.
http://www.theyoungvictoriamovie.com/

February 26 - March 4
Me And Orson Welles
114mins
Fri & Sat: 7:00 & 9:15
3:00 Matinee Saturday & Sunday
Sun - Thurs: 7:30 only
NO SHOW MONDAY
Based on a "true" story, a teenager lands a role
working on the Orson Welles production of  Julius
Ceaser.
http://www.meandorsonwellesthemovie.com/

March 5 - March 11
Soundtrack For A Revolution
82mins
Fri & Sat: 7:00 & 9:00
Sun - Thurs: 7:30 only
Soundtrack for a Revolution tells the story of
the American civil rights movement through its
powerful music - the freedom songs protesters
sang on picket lines, in mass meetings, and in
jail cells as they fought for justice and
equality.
http://www.soundtrackforarevolutionfilm.com/Home.html
****************************
SUNDAY, MARCH 7
Zonta Club of Montgomery
presents
AFGHAN STAR
Benefit Screening for
Woman For Women
After the overthrow of Taliban rule in
Afghanistan in 2001, television and pop culture
were once again possible there.  An Idol-style
television contest to name Afghanistan's best
singer was wildly popular. "Afghan Star" follows
the final four contestants.
<http://www.afghanstardocumentary.com/>www.afghanstardocumentary.com
Tickets: $10
2:00pm Reception   3:00 Film
****************************

March 12 - March 18
Broken Embraces
127mins
Fri & Sat: 7:00 & 9:30
Sun - Thurs: 7:30 only
The latest from Pedro Almódovar, Harry Caine, a
blind writer, reaches this moment in time when he
has to heal his wounds from 14 years back. He was
then still known by his real name, Mateo Blanco,
and directing his last movie. (In Spanish with
English Sub-Titles)
http://www.sonyclassics.com/brokenembraces/

March 19 - March 25
Still Walking
114mins
Fri & Sat: 7:00 & 9:15
Sun - Thurs: 7:30 only
NO SHOW MONDAY
Still Walking is a family drama about grown
children visiting their elderly parents, which
unfolds over one summer day. (In Japanese with
English Sub-Titles)
http://www.aruitemo.com/e_top.html

****************************
MONDAY, MARCH 22 - 7:30
Southern Circuit Film Tour
God's Architects
Zack Godshall, producer/director
God's Architects tells the stories of five
visionary builders and their enigmatic creations.
With neither funding nor blueprints, these
builders, unbeknownst to one another, dedicate
their entire lives to creating architectural
worlds and realms that for most of us exist only
in the wilds of the imagination.
  http://www.godsarchitects.com/

The 2009-2010 Southern Circuit is a program of
the Southern Arts Federation. Southern Circuit
screenings are funded in part by a grant from the
Southern Arts Federation in partnership with the
National Endowment for the Arts and local partner
organizations. Special support for Southern
Circuit was provided by the Academy of Motion
Picutre Arts and Sciences.
Funded locally in part by a grant from the
Alabama State Council on the Arts. Accomadations
provided for filmmakers by the Lattice Inn.
************************************

March 26 - April 1
A Single Man
101mins
Sat: 7:00 & 9:00
Sun - Thurs: 7:30 only

OPENING NIGHT BENEFIT FOR EQUALITY ALABAMA
Reception: 6:00  Film : 7:00
Tickets: $25

A story that centers on an English professor who,
after the sudden death of his partner tries to go
about his typical day in Los Angeles. Academy
Award Nominee for Best Actor, Colin Firth
http://www.asingleman-movie.com/#/home

April 2 - April 8
The Road
111mins
Fri & Sat: 7:00 & 9:00
Sun - Thurs: 7:30 only
A post-apocalyptic tale of a man and his son
trying to survive by any means possible. Based on
a novel by Cormac McCarthy.
http://www.theroad-movie.com/upgrade_flash.html

April 9 - April 15
Fish Tank
124mins
Fri & Sat: 7:00 & 9:30
Sun - Thurs: 7:30 only
NO SHOW MONDAY
Everything changes for 15yr old Mia when her mum brings home a new boyfriend.
http://www.ifcfilms.com/films/fish-tank
****************************
MONDAY, APRIL 12 - 7:30
Southern Circuit Film Tour
Jen White, producer/director
Between Floors examines the human condition
through a uniquely claustrophobic lens,
intercutting between five stuck elevators and the
people trapped inside them.
http://www.myspace.com/betweenfloors

The 2009-2010 Southern Circuit is a program of
the Southern Arts Federation. Southern Circuit
screenings are funded in part by a grant from the
Southern Arts Federation in partnership with the
National Endowment for the Arts and local partner
organizations. Special support for Southern
Circuit was provided by the Academy of Motion
Picutre Arts and Sciences.
Funded locally in part by a grant from the
Alabama State Council on the Arts. Accomadations
provided for filmmakers by the Lattice Inn.
************************************

April 16 - April 22
TBA

April 23 - April 29
White Ribbon
144mins
Fri & Sat: 7:00 only
Sun - Thurs: 7:30 only
Strange events happen in a small village in the
north of Germany during the years just before
World War I, which seem to be ritual punishment.
The abused and suppressed children of the
villagers seem to be at the heart of this
mystery. Nominated for Best Foreign Language
Film. (In German with English Sub-Titles)
http://www.sonyclassics.com/thewhiteribbon/

--

Martin McCaffery
Director