What exactly do you mean by the "distinction between practitioners
and theorists"?  Like many people around me, I am engaged
in critical thinking about documentaries AND I make
documentaries. Indeed, contemporary docuemtary filmmaking
has been quite influenced by theory and vice versa (
"experimental" documentaries, films and videos that
blur the boundaries between documentary and fiction, the
valorizing a more personal narrative over the by now old-
fashioned "voice of God" narrator, so-called "self-reflexivity")
often implicitly or explicitly draw on deconstructionist discourses

identity politics, etc.

Caitlin Manning