in general could not agree with tony williams more when he says that the
issue of authorship needs lots of careful discussion in what he calls the
"post barthes" era . . . and my own posting was not at all aimed at
authorship [or even at such notions as "the cinema of nicholas ray"--a notion
that seems to me very serviceable] . . . it was aimed ONLY at authors
understood as persons as opposed to authors [or authorship] understood as
something inferred from texts . . .

. . . this is hardly a post-structuralist, or post-modern, or post-anything
else notion . . . it goes back at least to lawrence's "trust the tale, not
the teller" and proabably a good deal before, although no earlier example
comes to mind just now . . .
  if you wanna know what nick ray had to say in his movies, watch the movies
. . . and if you wanna know what he had to say in his life read about his
life, but then you're not doing cinema-studies/criticism/textual-analysis or
anything like it anymore

mike frank