Hello back :-)

[log in to unmask]<<I'd like to ask you opinions on a young
screenwriter named Steven Zaillian.>>

I have a very difficult time evaluating the work of screenwriters because
there is so much between their work and what appears on the screen. Therefore
I don't think I could say much about his past work. However, I just recently
saw Searching for Bobby Fisher and I thought it was delightful. I wouldn't go
so far as to agree with you about the first 20 minutes being film Nirvana, to
be honest I don't really remember much of it. Actually I wasn't too crazy
about the boy's narration because I had trouble understanding his disembodied
speech sometimes.
I thought that the story was well told and did *not* resort to becoming the
Karate Kid (or Rocky) of chess as some reviews made it out to be. As usual,
Joe Mantegna did a wonderful job as the father struggling to help his child
excel without ruining his life. I'd give high praise for the entire cast and
I was very impressed with the young boy. I thought the lighting was very well
done, great contrasts of light and dark but not murky.
So, I'd say that this film bodes well for Mr. Zaillian's future.