SCREEN-L Archives

December 1999, Week 1

From:
HFis646942 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 1999 17:52:13 GMT
HOLLAND AVENUE BOYS LTD
                     155 West 72nd Street, Suite 404
New York, NY  10023
(212)579-0689       Email: [log in to unmask]

THE HOLLAND AVENUE BOYS: A SUCCESS STORY
         Theatrical Preview of Acclaimed Documentary

Date: Tuesday, December 7, 1999, 7PM
Location: Theater at NY Film Academy, 100 East 17th Street(corner
                  Park Avenue South), New York, NY
Information: (212)579-0689
Admission: $5
Note: Meet the filmmaker and some of the Boys after the presentation.
website: http://members.aol.com/hfis646942/Index.html(many reviews, etc.)
.
TV PRESENTATION: Tuesday, December 21st at 10pm on WLIW, Channel 21

More than half a century ago 11 boys from the Bronx, New York hung out at the
corner candy store and played street games until their mothers called them for
supper.

     Now, reflecting on their lives as they near retirement they realize what
has contributed most to their fulfillment - family, friends, career and
relationships.

     They have overcome obstacles such as divorce, physical disability,
business loss, etc. and have been sustained by the support, camaraderie and
trust of the group they call THE HOLLAND AVENUE BOYS.

     "If I need something I just call one of the Boys and get what I need
without any questions or what-fors," said Howard Fischer, a member of the
group. He was so grateful for these friendships and their lasting value that he
made a film about them. It has been called "an important project…a powerful
and inspiring film."

     Fischer says that people told him that this was a local, personal film,
but it has garnered interest throughout the country. "Most success stories are
about wealth or fame," he said. "Our story talks about personal growth,
satisfying careers, comfortable lifestyles and rewarding relationships. I think
this is what most people strive for."

     The National Institute on Media and the Family said that the film is
"appropriate/recommended for all ages.".The Dove Foundation gave it its seal of
approval, which is awarded to films that portray and encourage positive values
and the kind of story family members can enjoy together with confidence.
     Corporate sponsorships are available for companies interested in
identifying with the theme "success".
.

.

Have over 10,000 records(LPs, 45s, 78s, V-discs)-every category. Also sheet
music, photos, posters, books, etc. Selling collection by mail and monthly
sales in New York City. Contact (212)579-0689, M-F, 10am to 4pm. Also have
hundreds of books-art, antique