SCREEN-L Archives

December 1999, Week 1

From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 1999 08:50:54 -0600
On Sun, 5 Dec 1999 15:31:34 -0500 shawn <[log in to unmask]>  wrote in
reply to Germain Lacasse <[log in to unmask]>:

>re: television studies texts.
>i'm sure you've recieved advice already, such as Horace Newcomb's
>"Television:the critical view" which is a common undergraduate text. There
>is also, of course, Jeremy Butler's "Television: Critical Methods and
>Applications"

Thanks for the plug, Shawn.

Users of TV:CM&A may be interested to know that I'm currently working on a
second edition.  The revisions will be completed in summer 2000.  Watch for
the new edition in January 2001.

I also will be changing publishers, but I hope that the interval between
the two editions is fairly short.  Wadsworth is still selling the first
edition and will until they deplete their stock.

More information about TV:CM&A and a sample chapter (in both HTML and PDF
versions) may be found at:

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/TVCMA

>Might I also suggest: "The Television Studies Book" edited by Christine
>Geraghty and David Lusted (Arnold Press, 1998). As well as "Critical Ideas
>in Television Studies" by John Corner (Oxford, 1999). You may also want to
>be familiar with "Channels of Discourse, reassembled" edited by Robert
>Allen and "logics of Telvision" edited by Patricia Mellencamp.

And, if you're interested in a book that draws most of its examples from
British TV, there's also David McQueen, TELEVISION: A MEDIA STUDENT'S GUIDE
(Arnold, 1998).

Regards and best of luck with your course,

>good luck
>shawn shimpach
>nyu cinema studies
>
> > I have been asked to teach a course about cinema and television. As I
> >am already teaching cinema studies, I know much more about film than tv,
> >but am surprised to see that despite hundreds of books about television,
> >there seems to be no textbook about television studies, or introduction to
> >television studies. I can quote 30 books about violence in television, but
> >I found none that can summarize the field of television studies. I would
> >appreciate a few hints, and to enlarge the scope, I accept suggestions for
> >books in English, French, or Spanish.
> >
> > Thank you

----
Jeremy Butler
ScreenSite http://www.tcf.ua.edu/ScreenSite
Telecommunication & Film/University of Alabama/Tuscaloosa