SCREEN-L Archives

November 1999, Week 3

From:
Eric Freedman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 13:27:46 -0500
I am constructing a course on Community Media, which will consider
community-based production in a variety of media (zines, public television,
public access cable television, the internet, pirate radio, and film
cooperatives).  At the same time, the course will raise fundamental
questions about the term "community" itself.

I am looking for suggestions as to books that will cover this broad
terrain.  I know of limited forays into some of these arenas (The Paper
Tiger book "Roar!", Deirdre Boyle's book on guerrilla tv, Tony Dowmunt's
anthology on global television), but am having difficulty finding a more
overarching media text.
I will probably use Jean-Luc Nancy's Inoperative Community as one critical
starting point (though perhaps too advanced for undergrads without going
back to basics and covering the theorists employed in his book), but would
welcome other suggestions in the theory terrain and/or the production/media
terrain.

Eric Freedman, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Communication