SCREEN-L Archives

September 1999, Week 3

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 11:50:36 -0500
Joe Camacho requests:

> Can anyone recommend articles that delve into the cultural references in the
> African film Yeelen? I'm also interested in finding out information about
> more recent films from Africa.

The references that I have at hand are rather old and most are in
French, particularly interviews with Souleymane Cisse in CAHIERS DU
CINEMA and POSITIF.

See Baecque, Antoine: "Cela s'appelle l'Aurore' in CAHIERS, n. 402
(1987), 24-27

"L'Afrique dans la lumiere" CAHIERS, n. 402, 28-31

Toure, Kitia, and Jacques Binet: "Entretien avec Souleymane Cisse" in
POSITIF, n 322, 8-10

Also check these books:

Bakari, Imruh, and Mbye Cham, eds. African Experiences of Cinema. 1996

Diawara, Manthia. African Cinema: Politics and Culture. 1992

Malkmus, Lizbeth, and Roy Armes. Arab and African Film Making. 1991.

Martin, Michael, ed. Cinemas of the Black Diaspora. 1995.

Ukadike, Nwachukwu Frank. Black African Cinema. 1994.
        A major critical analysis of continental production, with emphasis on the role of the
        spectator and the social contexts of the films.

Issue Number 18 of the film journal Iris was devoted entirely to
African cinema.

Finally, check for more current references in the FILM LITERATURE
INDEX. You might also find internet resources through H-Afrilitcine at:

        http://www.h-net.msu.edu/~aflitweb/

I hope that helps!

Don Larsson

Donald Larsson