SCREEN-L Archives

August 1999, Week 2

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 12:03:25 -0500
D. olson wonders:

On Wed, 11 Aug 1999 10:36:44 -0700 (PDT) Belandean -----
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I am very interested in this line of discussion, but I would like to know
> more about the programs available for film theory and/or history. I am
> currently a graduate student (in English, but I have discovered film and am
> concentrating my study in film theory) and I am seriously considering
> continuing on to a doctoral program. I love film and would love to spend my
> life teaching film theory. But, as everyone knows, the job market for those
> with an English/Literature degree is not the best. I am curious about the
> opinions of those on the list who are teaching film-- is it worth the effort
> to continue on?

I'll echo Mike Frank's reservations and endorsements about the risks
and rewards of carrying on.  The job market in English as such is as
rotten as it has been for the last quarter century, and I doubt that
the prospects for film theory/history as such can be a great deal
better.  The Humanities in general remain highly competitive at a time
when critics on both the left and right are mournfully or gleefully
predicting the "death of the university as we know it" in the next two
or three decades.

But if it is something that you truly love and desire, then what the
hell!

Only keep your eyes and options open.

Don Larsson

Donald Larsson