SCREEN-L Archives

July 1999, Week 5

Date:
Fri, 30 Jul 1999 14:27:52 -0500
What kills me is _Barry Lyndon_ is letterboxed on the DVD but not on the
tape, even though Best Buy puts it in the widescreen section.  The new
2001 appears to be p&s, while _A Clockwork Orange_ is widescreen, based on
what it says on the box, and comparison of DVD to VHS copies.  All of the
films except _Spartacus_, _Fear and Desire_, and the four docs have been
reissued with the blue banner (though the early films have painted covers
and not the white design). The collection looks strange for including
Columbia's _Dr. Strangelove_ with the Warner and MGM titles, and shows how
much control Kubrick apparently had.  I know Warner distributes MGM
titles, but Columbia?

Scott

Scott Andrew Hutchins
http://php.iupui.edu/~sahutchi
Oz, Monsters, Kamillions, and More!

"Love is not a positive emotion that begins in us and ends in the positive
response of someone else.  Love is divine energy that comes from God and
has no end."  --Eric Butterworth