SCREEN-L Archives

July 1999, Week 5

From:
Lang Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 1999 20:54:28 -0400
>after a rather ill-received advance screening.  Kubrick's habits even
>once prompted Andrew Sarris to ask in despair when we could regard a
>film as the "final" version.  Of course, Kubrick lived on into the age
>of video releases with "European" cuts, "director's cuts," etc., so he
>would probably relish the controversy.

So film becomes more like literature in one respect, eh?  This has also
come to the front with the recent Kubrick DVDs which are presented
full-screen at Kubrick's request.  This has created numerous complaints
because they're not letterboxed, often blaming the studio for poor
judgement in releasing a panned-and-scanned film (which they aren't).

LT
Lang Thompson
http://www.tcf.ua.edu/wlt4

Full Alert Film Review (formerly World Cinema Review)
http://wlt4.home.mindspring.com/fafr.htm