SCREEN-L Archives

July 1999, Week 5

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 1999 09:24:24 -0500
Lang Thompson comments:

> According to several reports, Warners probably did touch a frame, quite a
> few of them.  General press fluff has it that Kubrick had finished the film
> but they're obviously recycling each other's copy while more substantive
> coverage has offered evidence (some drawn from the film itself) that it
> actually wasn't finished completely.  J. Hoberman even passes along rumors
> that Pollack or Spielberg may have had a hand in tidying up the film.  And
> much of the defense of the altered orgy scene--such as the laughably obtuse
> Kubrick crony on NPR--tends to rely on the point that Kubrick did it
> himself which takes a concept of artistic integrity too far; Kubrick's
> authorization doesn't make it acceptable.  The fact that this was not done
> for European prints shows that the villains are Warner Brothers AND the
> MPAA.

It was also Kubrick's habit to re-edit his films even after their
"debut."  The most notable example is 2001, where he cut quite a bit
after a rather ill-received advance screening.  Kubrick's habits even
once prompted Andrew Sarris to ask in despair when we could regard a
film as the "final" version.  Of course, Kubrick lived on into the age
of video releases with "European" cuts, "director's cuts," etc., so he
would probably relish the controversy.

Don Larsson
Donald Larsson
Minnesota State U, Mankato