SCREEN-L Archives

July 1999, Week 4

From:
Dag Soedtholt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 1999 16:58:50 +0100
I received the program for the Film-Museum (Cinemateque) in Munich today.
Seems like in the end of august they are running a small festival of silent
films, all with live music.
I live in London, but have visited the Film-Museum before, a place of good
taste and high quality. I am fairly well versed in silent films, but mainly
the major German work in the 1920s. None of the films in the program seems
(at least to me) to be among the most well-known in the silent category,
which makes it very tempting to go, but at the same time makes me wonder
whether it is worth the effort.

I give a list of the films and would be very grateful for any comments on
the quality and critical standing of the films...

MICHEL STROGOFF Viktor Tourjansky, France 1926
DAS WACHSFIGURENKABINETT Paul Leni, Germany 1924 (With Jannings, Veidt (as
Ivan the Terrible!), Werner Krauss and Wilhelm Dieterle! With such names it
sounds like a must, also with the most interesting and underrated Leni (THE
MAN WHO LAUGHS, CAT AND THE CANARY) as director!
THE UNKNOWN Tod Browning, US 1927
MISRECH UND MAJREW Sidney M Goldin, Austria 1923
FEU MATHIAS PASCAL Marcel L'Herbier, France 1925
DER SCHATZ G W Pabst, Germany 1923
THE CROWD King Vidor, US 1928
WILD ORANGES King Vidor, US 1924

Dag Soedtholt