SCREEN-L Archives

July 1999, Week 4

From:
Leo Enticknap <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jul 1999 15:39:54 +0100
At 16:58 21/07/99 +0100, you wrote:

>I give a list of the films and would be very grateful for any comments on
>the quality and critical standing of the films...

>MICHEL STROGOFF Viktor Tourjansky, France 1926

A lot of pre-revolution film directors and actors (e.g. Ivan Mosjoukine)
emigrated to France in the late teens and 20s, and exerted considerable
influence on French cinema in the late silent period.  I've never heard of
this particular title but would guess that it could be quite interesting.

>THE UNKNOWN Tod Browning, US 1927

The only silent Browning title I've seen is THE UNHOLY THREE (1925), an
interesting thriller with Boris Karloff.  It was well-written and quite
stylish, so I would suspect that this will be worth a look.

>THE CROWD King Vidor, US 1928

Very well-known Hollywood late silent melodrama.  See Raymond Durgnat's
book on Vidor for more info, and also Scott Eyman, 'The Speed of Sound'
(NY, 1998).

Leo Enticknap
email: [log in to unmask]