SCREEN-L Archives

July 1999, Week 2

From:
paul wiener <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 1999 12:44:03 -0400
Several years ago I stood next to Michael Jordan in a men's room in
Orlando. He was unaware of my presence. I was amazed to see that he was in
fact less than 5' 3" tall, although it was difficult to gauge his exact
height due to the circumstances and the indiscretion of peering over at
him. Most of us of course  think of him as the 6'6" athlete he appears to
be on television and at courtside, possibly because we've gotten so used to
seeing the diminutive Spike Lee at Knicks games. But it is little-known
fact that Jordan and most of his former Bulls co-stars are ALL under 5'6".
I cannot account for why he appears so much larger in competition or on tv,
but suspect it has something to do with our expectations. It may also have
something to do with his sneakers, and why he's such an effective spokesmen
for them.

At least, I thought it looked like Michael Jordan.  His head was very small
- smaller than a basketball.

This may explain why Jordan never has agreed to do a celebrity one-on-one
game with either Dave Winfield or Tim Duncan, though neither of them are
movie stars. And it may give some insight into why Woody Harrelson starred
in "White Men Can't Jump" (NOT because Woody Allen turned the role down, as
everyone thinks!).

PBWiener