SCREEN-L Archives

May 1999, Week 4

From:
Peter Warren <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 22 May 1999 13:21:10 -0400
Matthew: With the end of the Cold War and the waning of communism as a
world wide threat (at least, for the time being), it's getting harder to
find Russian and Chinese villains for Bond to beat up on. The lack of a
substantial and common enemy has led to terrorists, political, economic and
religious, and often druglords, to become the main scapegoats for action
movies, including the James Bond series. The Bond films have also suffered
the fate of the majority of actioneers, in that they have sacrificed what
little plot and character they might have possessed in the past for
overblown action sequences. I don't envisage this trend will fade in the
foreseeable future, as the big screen/digital sound hightech cinemas now
being introduced into many localities need to be supplied with that type of
product.