SCREEN-L Archives

May 1999, Week 1

From:
Julia Rice <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Julia Rice <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 May 1999 09:48:17 +0100
-----Original Message-----
From: Lang Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Date: 02 May 1999 23:05
Subject: White Dog variations

>When Sam Fuller's "White Dog" was first aired on USA in the mid-80s it was
>supposedly re-edited to remove references to the racism and the dog being
>trained to attack blacks.  However, Fuller's original version has shown in
>NYC and been released on tape in Europe.  Does anybody know the actual
>differences between them?  Specifically, I'm wondering about a version
>shown on Cinemax a few years back which does have dialogue directly
>addressing racism and the dog's training so is this actually Fuller's
version?

It sounds like it. It has been some time since I saw this film. It was
broadcast on terrestrial television in the UK. I remember the film showing
the dog practically tearing a coloured rapist (who had broken in to Kristy
McNichol's home) limb from limb. Horrified she tracks down the dogs original
trainer and discovers that it was trained to kill blacks (not merely attack
them). A 'Black' dog trainer attempts to retrain the dog..... alas I cannot
remember whether the dog's training was a complete success, or whether it
continued to kill (possibly the trainer).....I vaguely remember a sad
ending. I'll ask around and try to track down a copy of the film if it is
still available on tape and let you know ;-))

hope this helps,

Julia

Julia C. Rice
U.W.C.N. UK