SCREEN-L Archives

April 1999, Week 4

From:
Lang Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Apr 1999 22:47:44 -0400
>Can someone suggest a venue where I can
>acquire a copy of the film, *El Topo*.
>Iwould like to own a copy in VHS.

It's never been released on any video format in the US because Allen Klein,
who holds the rights, is a real control freak and also apparently very
difficult to deal with.  However, since this and "Holy Mountain" both aired
on the Playboy Channel sometime in the early or mid-80s and have also been
released on Japanese laserdisc, you can find copies from any of the
numerous grey-area video companies that advertise in places like
Psychotronic Video.  (E-mail privately if you need recomendations.)  The
catch is that the Japanese version has optical fogging of, as Monty Python
puts it, naughty bits.  There's an upcoming video release in the UK which
won't be fogged but has been trimmed; how much and what I don't know yet.

LT