SCREEN-L Archives

April 1999, Week 4

From:
Sean Desilets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Apr 1999 09:08:37 -0400
I wonder if anybody can help me find a particular version of Welles's _Mr.
Arkadin_. Jonathan Rosenbaum talks about three English-language versions
of the film. One is the European version, which is called _Confidential
Report_, another is the most readily-available American version, which was
edfited by an idiot. Rosenbaum claims there's another version, the one
that was released in America in the early sixties by Corinth films, that
comes closest to Welles's conception. It allegedly begins, like
_Confidential report_ and unlike the slahed-up American version, at Zouk's
flat. Anybody have anybody idea where I can get a copy of this third
version?

And byu the way, how do people ,like _Mr. Arkadin_? I'm doing some work on
it and would love to hear people's perspectives.

Thanks in advance.

Sean Desilets                   *               "The only people who
                        *               *       believe that there is
Department of English           *               a language that is
East Hall               *               *       not theoretical are
Tufts University                *               professors of
Medford, MA 02155       *               *       literature."
[log in to unmask]              *                       Paul de Man