SCREEN-L Archives

April 1999, Week 4

From:
Julia Rice <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Julia Rice <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Apr 1999 13:41:04 +0100
-----Original Message-----
From: Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Date: 24 April 1999 21:18
Subject: Re: Movie production credits

Donald wrote:

>The most valuable information on Cinemania is taken from The Motion
>Picture Guide, published by CineBooks.  Updated by annual volumes, it
>contains details of films from the silent era to the present, although
>I'm not sure if it was still publishing after 1994.  The Cinemania disk
>does not always have all the information in the reference books--but
>even the books can be incomplete or contain errors.

So can the Cinemania CD Roms..... the synopsis of the Hitchcock film
*Strangers on a Train* has a slightly different description of the ending
than the video version that I recently screened. The cine books synopsis
on Cinemania 96' states that the merry go round operator has a heart
attack..... but in the film he appears to have been shot .... I think by a
policeman.....it also
says that all the people, except for one boy,  were able to get off the
merry-go-round before it collapses.... in the film there are clearly other
people still on the ride. I know that these are only slight discrepancies
but it prompted me to wonder whether there were two alternative endings for
the film or if it was just a mistake.

The real benefit of the CD ROM is the search facility..... sometimes it's
great when you are trying to find films but don't know the titles, or if you
need a list of 1935 war films made in the UK alas don't want to spend hours
trawling through film guides..... it can  take just seconds to locate
them......although it won't be a complete list it still gives you a starting
place ......  enabling you then to carry out further research with more
reliable sources......I still love my books ;-)))

Julia

Julia C. Rice
U.W.C.N. UK