SCREEN-L Archives

April 1999, Week 2

From:
Peter Lunenfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Apr 1999 09:47:50 +0000
Film scholars teaching new media courses will be interested in The Digital
Dialectic: New Essays on New Media (MIT Press, 1999)
<http://mitpress.mit.edu/book-home.tcl?isbn=0262122138>, an
interdisciplinary jam session about our visual and intellectual cultures as
the computer recodes technologies, media, and art forms. Edited by by Peter
Lunenfeld, the collection contains contributions from Florian Brody, Carol
Gigliotti, N. Katherine Hayles, Michael Heim, Erkki Huhtamo, George P.
Landow, Brenda Laurel, Peter Lunenfeld, Lev Manovich, William J. Mitchell,
and Bob Stein. Unlike purely academic texts on new media, the book includes
contributions by scholars, artists, and entrepreneurs, who combine
theoretical investigations with hands-on analysis of the possibilities (and
limitations) of new technology. USC's Mark Pesce says of the book that it
gives "at once a clear assessment of our current situation and astute
predictions of what is to come," and the University of Chicago's Barbara
Maria Stafford calls it "a screen-grab of thoughtful delights."