SCREEN-L Archives

April 1999, Week 2

From:
Lang Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Apr 1999 21:01:17 -0400
>Actually, the deleted scenes have nothing to do with censorship. These were
>scenes that the filmmakers decided to delete when doing the final cut (the
>DVD and Criterion editions have these scenes as "extras" because they did
>not make the final mix, and appear to be from work prints). As for the 2
>seconds deleted from the U.S. version, this was done willingly by director
>Danny Boyle to avoid an "X" rating.

Despite the MPAA's claims that they're not a censoring body, the economic
force behind their ratings amounts to de facto censorship.  Perhaps the
word "censorship" is too much a red flag but how else would you describe
the work of an agency that directly causes a trimmed version of a film to
be released?  As for the UK, I was not talking about the missing scenes but
the 14 seconds that were cut at the mandate of the BBFC not the filmmakers.
 You can verify this on the BBFC's database.  Though the BBFC's verdict on
theatrical releases doesn't carry the weight of law (ie it can be overruled
by any local governmental body), their say on video releases does.