SCREEN-L Archives

March 1999, Week 4

Date:
Sun, 21 Mar 1999 13:06:07 -0500
Ed Johnson-Ott was the one I was referring to specifically--saying it was
why he didn't think it should win best picture.  I haven't read a great
deal of criticism toward _Elizabeth_, so I couldn't say how common it is.
I do know, however, that anytime something is stylized, it's described as
MTV, which really is menaingless in itself.  I don't think there are any
reviews of Luhrmann's R & J that didn't do this, and my film criticism
professor at the time commented on mine that that statement is really
rather meaningless.  The only exception I can think of is Phil Hardy, who
suggested it had more to do with HK action and gangster films than MTV,
despite the alternative rock soundtrack.  I must admit the fact that both
films had the same editor, Jill Billcok, is not surprising.

Scott

Scott Andrew Hutchins
http://php.iupui.edu/~sahutchi
Oz, Monsters, Kamillions, and More!

"Colorless green ideas sleep furiously."--Noam Chomsky

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/ScreenSite