SCREEN-L Archives

March 1999, Week 4

From:
Sean Desilets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 1999 09:08:31 -0500
I've never read any intereviews in which Kubrick speaks at any length
about pulling Clockwork Orange, but I think there's a brief exchange about
it in one of the interviews in _Perspectives on Stanley Kubrick_, which
was edited by Mario Falsetto (I think). He says essentially what people
have already said, that he pulled the film because of the copycat stuff
but still stands behind it.

I sometimes don't pay close enough attention to the list, so maybe I
missed something, but I'm a little surprised by the silence with which
Kubrick's death has been met here. Is that because everybody's tear ducts
were worn out by Kurusowa's death, because we've all finally realized the
 "death of the author" so that individual authors' deaths aren't such a
big deal, or because Kubrick is "dated" (or at least out of critical
favor)?

Sean Desilets * "The only people who
                        * * believe that there is
Department of English * a language that is
East Hall * * not theoretical are
Tufts University * professors of
Medford, MA 02155 * * literature."
[log in to unmask] * Paul de Man