SCREEN-L Archives

March 1999, Week 2

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 1999 08:26:58 -0600
tbrennan requests:

> I'm developing a course in Asian Film studies -- Japan, China, Hong
> Kong, Vietnam, India -- and would appreciate suggestions on texts and
> reading sources.

Is there a particular focus to the course? Is it lower-level,
upper-level and/or grad? Is it part of a particular curricular
program? Are you restricting your studies to recent, post-WWII, or
earlier films?

I ask because Asian Film is a huge area. The literature on Japanese
film alone is extensive. If you're concentrating on a few "auteurs,"
or a particular movement or genre, that's one thing, but the history of
the Indian and Japanese film industries are subjects for a whole course
of their own. A search of the Library of Congress website for books
should give you an hint of the extent of material out there. Also see
the bibliographies in David Cook's A HISTORY OF NARRATIVE FILM and
Kristin Thompson and David Bordwell's FILM HISTORY: AN INTRODUCTION.

Don Larsson

Donald Larsson
Minnesota State U, Mankato