SCREEN-L Archives

March 1999, Week 1

From:
"J. Emmett Winn" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 1999 12:52:24 -0600
Cross posted on H-Film & Screen-L (my apologies for duplication)

A war historian friend has asked me about finding the following British
films concerning the awarding of the Victoria Cross.  I am woefully
uninformed about this topic.  Therefore, I am unable to help him but
thought that perhaps some of you might be able to point us in some helpful
directions.

Here's the information we have in terms of the films and their availability
in the past.

_Victoria Cross Race by Military Cyclists_   in  A Selected Catalogue of
the Best and Most Interesting `Hepwix' Films,  Hepworth & Co.,
1903, 10.

_How Tommy won the Victoria Cross -- An Incident of the Soudan War_,
Warwick Trading Co., Ltd., 1901 Catalogue, 134.

_How a C.I.V. won the Victoria Cross_   in  Walker, Turner & Dawson's
Animated Photographs for the Cinematograph,  1901, 4

_On the issue of winning V.C.'s_, see  Britain's Welcome to Her Sons (which
is also a filmed music hall routine), in  New Animatograph Films,  R.W.
Paul, 1903, n.p; Low, British Film, 1: 48.

_"Still Worthy of his Name_,"   Animated Photographs,  Jury's Imperial
Bioscope, c. 1905, 13; Low, British Film, 2: 42, 125, 135

You may respond via the list of to me directly at:

Thank you,

Emmett

J. Emmett Winn
Film Studies Instructor