SCREEN-L Archives

February 1999, Week 3

From:
Rachel Gabara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 12:30:23 -0500
Along these lines, I'd suggest Raoul Peck's LUMUMBA: DEATH OF THE PROPHET,
in which photographs of Lumumba and of Peck's own family play an important
role. The camera pans around the photos, accompanying the voice-over, then
pulls back from "close-ups" to show the entire image -- the photographs
seem to move, in interesting tension with the newsreel footage he also
uses in the film.

Rachel Gabara
Program in Comparative Literature
University of Michigan

On Wed, 10 Feb 1999, Donald Larsson wrote:

> Here's another suggestion:
>
> Sembene's XALA, with the pin-up photo of El Hadj's third wife on the
> wall.
>
> A photo of Patrice Lumumba plays a small but important part in a
> flashback in LA NOIRE DE . . . (BLACK GIRL) by the same director.
>
> And for something completely different,
> last year's remake of THE PARENT TRAP, with a photo used by the two
> twins to verify their parentage.
>
> Don Larsson

> Donald Larsson
> Minnesota State U, Mankato
>
> ----
> To sign off Screen-L, e-mail [log in to unmask] and put SIGNOFF Screen-L
> in the message. Problems? Contact [log in to unmask]

University of Alabama.