SCREEN-L Archives

October 1998, Week 4

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 26 Oct 1998 10:19:03 -0600
Thanks to Ed O'Neill for pointing out one I inexplicably missed!

> Three cheers for Donald Larsson's very complete listing.
>
> But in all the lists, I didn't seem to notice _All That
> Jazz_.
>
> For those who don't remember, the Broadway
> director-choreographer has a heart attack while preparing
> his newest show.  If he dies and the show folds before
> opening, the insurance kicks in, and the show will make a
> profit without ever having opened!  Now if that's not
> central to the narrative, I don't know what is.

Indeed!  And it makes telling use of subjective sound in the scene
where he's having his first warning attack of angina during a first
reading of the play, but all he (and we) can hear is the tapping of his
shoe, the snuffing-out of his cigarette, the breaking of a pencil, etc.

Don Larsson