SCREEN-L Archives

September 1998, Week 5

From:
Lang Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Sep 1998 15:57:08 -0400
At 12:35 PM 9/29/98 +0100, you wrote:
>after the event, one thing I noticed was the complete absence of any British
>people - I seem to recall that we did have something do do with the Second
>World War, even if it was only a minor role!).

One obvious reason is that Omaha was attacked by American troops; the
British had Gold and Sword beaches and the Canadians Juno.  The 101st
Airborne was behind Utah beach; in other words even futher away from
British troops.  Whatever "Saving Private Ryan"'s faults, it was only
showing a small part of the invasion and to have included British troops
would have been as untruthful as showing black American ones.