SCREEN-L Archives

September 1998, Week 4

From:
Robert Kolker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 25 Sep 1998 19:04:48 -0400
RE: Multimedia authoring

There are many books, articles, etc. on the subject of
multimedia authoring, and a web search will probably turn
up a number of sources. There are as many newsgroups and
listservs as there are software applications. I've used a
few texts for my multimedia authoring course--and they are
more theory than practice: "Labyrinths" by Dominic
Stansberry (Thompson) and van Wodtke's "Mind over
Media" (McGraw). As to how to's, that depends on the
software you use. My own authoring was done in Asymetrix
Toolbook, which I also use in my classes. It has the value
of being as simple or complex as you need. For publication,
my CD-ROM was done by a professional production company in
Macromedia Director, the advantage of which is that it can
be developed for PC and Mac and is the industry default. It
is incredibly difficult and yields no better results than
Toolbook.

To get an image into your computer, you need a video
capture card, fed by either a VCR or (preferably) a
laserdisc.

It might be a good idea to decide first what kind of
project you want to do and then find the software that can
best handle it. It might turn out that nothing more than
Power Point is needed.

Robert Kolker
English Department
University of Maryland