SCREEN-L Archives

September 1998, Week 4

From:
Lang Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Sep 1998 22:39:26 -0400
At 01:30 PM 9/21/98 -0500, you wrote:
>While on the subject of Lenzi, can anyone see the parallels between
>_Cannibal Ferox_ and _The Cook The Thief His Wife & Her Lover_ pointed out
>by Phil Hardy? I've only seen the latter, and considering what Video
>Watchdog said (and showed) about _Cannibal Ferox_, I don't think I want
>to, een though it sounds interesting enough in structure.
>
>Scott

Well, in The Overlook Film Encyclopedia: Horror, Hardy (or one of the other
contributors) says The Cook is like Cannibal Ferox remade by Visconti. Not
so much parallels between the two films as a general sense of nastiness or
taboo-breaking. In any case, Cannibal Ferox (better known in the US at
least as Make Them Die Slowly & which I actually saw in a multiplex theatre
of all places) has little in the way of structure or plot. Like the other
Italian cannibal films, a framing sequence sets up a series of violent
occurances that are far beyond horror film conventions. Unlike, say, the
work of Romero, Argento and Peter Jackson or such Hong Kong efforts as The
Untold Story or Run and Kill, there's no sense of humor/wit or any style or
any thematic development. The cannibal films are almost pure
sensationalism. The best discussion of them is in Kim Newman's Nightmare
Movies while the films themselves are easily available from the gray area
companies that advertise in places like Psychotronic Video Magazine.