SCREEN-L Archives

June 1998, Week 4

From:
Jenni Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jun 1998 19:57:21 EDT
<<Watching "The Opposite of Sex" recently, it occurred to me that the gay
protagonists in the current crop of light-hearted comedies have all been
teachers: "The Object of My Affection" and "In and Out" also feature gay
teachers. ("My Best Friend's Wedding" bucks this trend, but neither the gay
character nor his job are as central to the plot as is the case in the
other movies mentioned.)>>

Dear Ivan,

This is an interesting phenomenon.  But it's hard to identify it as anything
other than a big coincidence.  Object and In & Out are pretty big productions,
while Opposite of Sex is much more of an indie (by an openly gay
writer/director as well).

These portrayals are certainly a step up from Shirley MacClaine's suicidal
Martha Dobie in The Children's Hour!

Best,

Jenni Olson
PopcornQ