SCREEN-L Archives

April 1998, Week 5

From:
"Meryem C. Ersoz" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Meryem C. Ersoz
Date:
Wed, 29 Apr 1998 12:33:26 -0600
May I suggest a brand-spanking-new work by my colleague, Susan Linville.
The title is FILM, FASCISM, AND FEMINISM. Or is it Fascism, Film, and
Feminism? These alliterative titles can be confusing. She surveys the
literature on the topic of postwar German film and autobiography, so no
doubt the bibliography and notes section could lead you to further reading
on the subject. She deals very specifically with the topic of motherhood
and post-war blame.

It was just released--this month, I believe--from University of Texas
press. It's so fresh that I have not yet seen the book, only the pre-print
cover on display in our English Dept. office (which explains why I am
having trouble remembering the title). But Susan tells me she saw it on a
Barnes and Noble shelf, so it is in distribution.

Good luck with your search.

Meryem Ersoz
University of Colorado-Denver

On Mon, 27 Apr 1998, Demetria Shabazz wrote:

> I have come across Gabriele Weinberger's work, NAZI GERMANY AND ITS
> AFTERMATH IN WOMEN DIRECTOR'S AUTOBIOGRAPHICAL FILMS OF THE LATE
> 1970S. She includes some discussion on the immediate blame applied to
> women specifically mothers in post WWII Germany and their "worship of
> the phallus" Hitler.
>
> I would like a more extensive work to study this
> further and answer questions I have pertaining to film representations
> of motherhood in post WWII Germany. Does anyone on the list have works
> to suggest?
> Demetria Rougeaux Shabazz
> University of Alabama, TCF
>
> ----
> Screen-L is sponsored by the Telecommunication & Film Dept., the
> University of Alabama.

University of Alabama.