SCREEN-L Archives

April 1998, Week 4

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 28 Apr 1998 10:01:57 -0500
Ulf Dalquist requests:

> A colleague of mine is looking for films and TV series, mainly comedies,
> featuring characters not aware of everday social rules, e.g CONEHEADS,
> CATWEAZLE or LES VISITEURS. It doesn't matter whether it's about aliens
> visiting earth, time-travellers, or just plain anti-social characters, the
> main issue is that they break unwritten social rules. Suggestions?

Surely, the most comprehensive approach to such characters was
undertaken in the ouevre of the Three Stooges.  (I'm not kidding!)

Also see BOUDU SAVED FROM DROWNING (and DOWN AND OUT IN BEVERLY HILLS,
its remake), much of Chaplin's work--MODERN TIMES and CITY LIGHTS
provide good examples, the old griot in KEITA: HERITAGE OF THE GRIOT,
Peter Sellers in BEING THERE and THE PARTY (and much of his character
as Inspector Clouseau in the Pink Panther movies), David Bowie as THE
MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH, and many others.

Don Larsson
Donald Larsson, Mankato State U (MN)

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/screensite