SCREEN-L Archives

April 1998, Week 3

From:
julian wynne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Apr 1998 15:28:34 +0100
>I assume there must be an obvious answer to the following question since
>the question itself seems so obvious to me, so I apologize in advance if
>I'm being obtuse.  Since mirrors were not a part of human experience for
>most of the course of human evolution, and since even today most infants in
>the world do not have a chance to see themselves much or at all in mirrors,
>what is the basis for  hypothesizing a "mirror stage" in infants?
>
>--Richard J. Leskosky

 The mirror is of course a metaphor for the way in which the m'other'
mirrors back to the child a sense of its own autonomy, in response to it's
actions. I reckon that's why kids like throwing stuff because they get a
reaction [don't everyone write back about the Fort Da game because I don't
believe it!]
Personally I'm with Haraway when it comes to Lacan and psychoanalysis.'We
are all cyborgs' 'we weren't born in the Garden', and we have skipped the
'origin story' thus we are now simply nodes in a network of information
exchange. Isn't that liberating? And you don't have to spend months reading
the same book! The fact that we are all exchanging information through the
net is confirmation of  her ideas, at least for me. Question; What sex am
I? You don't know [and you probably con't care] but it illustrates the
point that in the information age 'Gender' ceases to have the repressive
effects for which it was structured.

Does anyone know of any resources in which Blade Runner and Haraway are
specifically discussed together ? I have been wondering whether her Cyborg
Manifesto was partly influenced by Rachael and Deckard's relationship in
the film. She briefly mentions Rachael in the manifesto but I wondered if
anyone has expounded on this.

Jules ?

University of Alabama.