SCREEN-L Archives

April 1998, Week 3

From:
Leona Geudens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Apr 1998 17:21:36 PDT
Dear List-members,

I wish to prove that film can show the ideas that live in society at a certain moment of time. I am not thinking about propaganda films, but just of ordinary fiction films, that reflect in a subtle way the culture of viewers.
What do you feel are the most important theories/ academic views that could help me prove this theory ? Maybe there are also websites at the internet that could help out ?

A semiotic method seems the best way to analyse these films, which I consider to be true historical data. Does anybody know of other methods ?

If you take it to be so that films are a mirror to and of a nation, you wonder whether it wouldn't be possible to use film to create a more international or universal union ? Of course this might just remain a philosophy. You either need a lot of power or a lot of money to be able to influence the products of the film, but this could be an interesting topic for just discussion. It is a fact that American films often show this type of stories where people are willing to fight and die for uncle Sam and are always proud to be an American citizen. European films just portray our ideas of regionalism and individualism, so you can wonder if we cannot become a truely United States of Europe, if you transfer the principles of most American films ?!

Leona Geudens