SCREEN-L Archives

April 1998, Week 1

From:
Ken Mogg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 3 Apr 1998 04:01:12 +1000
Hi Jim Marsden -

You wrote:

> ... I recalled reading about Saul Bass in Janet
> Leigh's 1995 book, _Psycho: Behind the Scenes of the Classic Thriller_. Leigh
> castigates Bass for claiming he directed the shower scene (he apparently
> storyboarded it). As part of her case she quotes cinematographer Hilton Green:
> "There is not a shot in that movie that I didn't roll the camera for. And I
> can tell you I never rolled the camera for Mr. Bass" (p. 69).
>
> Does anyone have information about when and why Bass was making the directing
> claim?

I think that we can put down (in two senses) Saul Bass's claim (by
attributing it) to simple egoism or simple opportunism, or both.

There's another apt observation on the same page of Janet Leigh's book,
from Janet herself, to Mr Bass: 'Drawing some pictures does not a
director make' (though he may IMAGINE otherwise).

BTW, a small correction.  Hilton Green was not the cinematographer on
PSYCHO.  That was John L. Russell.  Hilton Green was Assistant
Director.  Hilton was talking figuratively when he spoke of himself
rolling the camera.

- Ken Mogg (Ed., 'The MacGuffin').
http://www.labyrinth.net.au/~muffin